I will start this post with a statement. You might be a redneck........if you get treated wih radiation twice a day and you have vocal cord cancer! Thats a new one for Jeff Foxworthy to put in his show. Just thought a little humor about the sunburned neck I now have would be fitting and i have not lost my sence of humorthroug this nor will I.
I would like to express my thanks and gratitude to everyone who has posted on this blog. I really appreciate the kind words and encouragement you have given me. Some of you I have not talked to for quite a while and it is nice to hear from you.
Well I am half way done with the 64 treatments that I have to do and that feels good. The side effects are becoming more apparent day by day. I have a sore throat all the time, but i am on some major pain killers so i don't notice it that much. Biggest trouble is when i am sleeping for the night and wake up at 4 in the morning and swallow. That feels like razor blades in my throat. But eventually i go back to sleep and it becomes less of a problem. Food has been a trial and error type of deal. I can eat foods that are liquidy or that break up into small pieces. Bread is a no no, and so is potatoes, some pastas, spicy foods, and tough meats. It has been an adjustment for me, as I am a big meat eater. I am defiantely not eating as much as i used to and i am eating more soups and veggies. I actually think having this disease will change the way I eat from now on. I have been working out 5 days a week since starting the treatment... and i feel great about that. Say goodby to that double chin....I have lost about 9lbs so far, but i am gaining muscle. The exercise gives me tons of energy in the morning and to make it to my 3:30 pm appt. After that I am spent. I go home and nap. I can't believe how much sleep this requires. I took a nap today at about 1:00 pm till 2:45pm and I am now getting tired at 9:30 pm. CRAZY! I used to be a night owl....not anymore! Diane and I are in bed at 10:00pm evernight and it does feel good.
Anyway, back to the side effects. Tastebuds have changed a little bit. Some foods taste more bland to me and some taste vibrant. Also getting alot of phlem in my throat that comes and goes at night mostly. Also even thoughmy neck is red, I still have not had a problem with itching, ot irratation or peeling. Maybe later? The only other big change has been Diane and I adjusting to each other being home everynight together. It really is a big change, I was always gone for 3 nights a week for the 7 years that we have been together. Diane is used to her "alone" time and me too. So this had been a big adjustment for us. I think we are finally starting to get it down. Not sure how you nine-to-fivers do it everyday with each other (JK) Truth be known.....I have really enjyed being able to see my wife every day and sleep in the same bed everynight. I do think I will miss that once we get back to our normal life. She had been a godsend during this time and she is "stepping up " and taking great car of me during these hard times.......but i know I am in for it when she gets pregnant...at least thats what she tells me!
Talk to ya next time!
Chris
Tuesday, October 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
You might be a redneck if..... ?!?!?! The sheer possibility of you being a true "redneck" just does not exist. You are too metro to be a hick! ;-)
Seriously though put some aloe vera on that thing so you can protect the non-cancered part.
I'm glad to see that you're positive and entertained by this process. Humor is your ally, never abandon it.
Us "9 to 5'ers" wish you luck... Drew and I are more like "7 am to 11 pm'ers" so we kinda know what you're going through. Tons of love, hugs, and positive thoughts for both of you... you're half way there... you're going strong. We're with you all the way! ~ Aimee
Hi Chris... Aimee is helping me learn how to blog so I can contribute to your board. Question: would you like some soup cookbooks to help with your meal options? Or I can come down and teach you how to make broth for the soup bases!!! Wouldn't that be fun!!!! (Aimee is editorializing here)
Love Peg
Dear Chris,
As I am typing this message to you, I can't help but think about the date - exactly one year ago today you were having your first vocal cord surgery. What a year its been - a real rollercoaster ride. There have been many highs and lows but the one thing I feel so certain about this time is a positive outcome. In a few short weeks your treatment will be over and normal life will resume for you and Diane.
You are doing a great job with the radiation side effects and handling this whole situation in a postive way. You are strong and determined and that attitude affects all of us who read your messages and creates that same positive energy in us - you are surrounded by postive thinking family and friends. I hope you can literally feel everyone's love, strength and confidence during your daily treatments - that's powerful and it's there !
So I guess you are now considering a side job of writing jokes for Jeff Foxworthy - hey - whatever it takes to get your through !
Hope that new BMW is sitting in your driveway real soon !
Love you,
Mom
What's up there Dill? Sorry it's taken me so long to post, I'm new to this blogging stuff. Glad to see and hear that you're both doing well. Kealan and I talk about you guys all the time. From the looks of this board it looks like you're pretty close to everybody's thoughts and prayers. The Aloe Vera thing works too. Remember that sunburn I got in Flagstaff skiing? The stuff works. Anyway, keep your chins up and we'll talk to ya later.
Chad
Hi Chris and Diane,
Just a quick note to tell you both that we think about you every day and are so happy that you are half way through this chapter!!!!! Your sense of humor and positive outlook are contributing so much to this process, I'm sure.
The two of you have already experienced so many lessons as a couple that most of us will never have. From lemons, comes lemonade. I'm so very proud to say I know you both!!!
Love,
Susan and Earl
Hi Chris,
Well now that the BMW is sitting in your garage, you must be thrilled. Quite a trip getting it from Atlanta - you flying there Saturday and driving it to St Louis and then heading back on Sunday for your Monday treatment - Dad meeting you in St. Louis and driving it the rest of the way for you - that was so great - you guys made a great (and fast) driving team! I can just see you now polishing that car every chance you get - Enjoy and have fun with it !
Love to you and Diane,
Mom
Hi Chris,
Well now that the BMW is sitting in your garage, you must be thrilled. Quite a trip getting it from Atlanta - you flying there Saturday and driving it to St Louis and then heading back on Sunday for your Monday treatment - Dad meeting you in St. Louis and driving it the rest of the way for you - that was so great - you guys made a great (and fast) driving team! I can just see you now polishing that car every chance you get - Enjoy and have fun with it !
Love to you and Diane,
Mom
Trick-or-Treat, Smell my feet, Give Chris some mush to eat....
Hi Chris and Diane! We (Kim & Mason) just got done with trick-or treat night with Karin & Morgan. I just decided to check in on you and see how you're doing. Looks like your managing pretty well through this so far. Good for you! I'll have to see if I can come across some good recipes for ya.
Happy Halloween!
Love to you both,
your cousin...Kim
Hi Chris and Diane,
Just a quick "hi" to let you know that we are thinking of you each and every day.
Hugs,
Earl and Susan
Hi guys! hey bro, if I'm doing the math right you should be on the final home stretch of your treatments...finishing up next week even, huh? I can't wait to see you guys again soon. Maybe a visit to Chicago is in order to fatten you up with all the pizza and hot dogs you can eat :) Stay strong, we all love you and think about you every day. xoxo
Post a Comment