Well. I have officially completed Radiation Treatment. It feels so great to be done, but honestly I don't feel any better yet. The doc told me I won't start noticing a change until a couple of weeks. Oh well, at least I don't have to drive my car down to Salt Lake City every day, anymore. About the pics I posted, they need a little explanation. The first pic is of my radiation team. From left to right is Allison, my nurse, then we have Preston, he is a dosemitrist(he prescribes the right amount or dose of radiation to a patient. He works alot with computer graphics as well. Next is me of course with my certificate of completion and sparlikg cider they gave me. After that is Mark, he is one of the technicians as well as Carol at the end. Those two get me positoned correctly under the machine and help me put on and take off the mask. All of those people have become very close to me through out this and there is a very caring nature to the Utah Cancer Specialists, sorry but much more caring than the Ear, Nose, and Throat center I have gone to for 2 surgeries in the past. The next pic is of me ringing the bell, a tradition on you last treatment day at the UTS. I think I rang it so hard it almost fell off the wall. The next one is a nice close- up of my disgusting red, blistered, raw neck. That actually looks a lot better than it was over that weekend. the next is another pic of the "crew".
Lastly you may have seen references to Superman in some of these blogs. the story behind that is that I tried to and apparently have been very tough through this process and have stayed relatively positive as well. My mom has made references to me being her "hero" through this and lots of talk about strength. When my dad came to visit two weeks ago, he gave me a present. The present was a plastic molded Superman 3 figure. He wanted to give me strength through this and to tell me I was like his Superman. I was actually very touched by that gesture. Any one who knows my dad, knows he is usually one to crack jokes and make light of things but I am glad he did this for me. The figure sits on my night stand now and i look at it every night when i goto sleep and every morning when I wake. So on my last treatment i get to pick a song to play during my radiation treatment and as i searched my CD library of over 1200 songs now, it came to me "Superman, ( It's Not Easy ) by Five For Fighting" . It's perfect because it is a song about how vulnerable even Superman can be. This song is very interpretive, but to me the song isn't really about Superman at all, he is a metaphor because he represents something strong and unstoppable. The conflict in this song comes from the fact that despite his reputation, the Superman that is in all of us does not always know what to do in hard situations and is still vulnerable to these situations. ie, Superman could never get cancer ! But i did ! We are all vulnerable to hard situations, it's how we choose to deal with them and how hard we fight them that makes us true hero's, possibly Superman!
I will be checked again in 3 weeks by the doc, right now it is recovery time at home. Lots of sitting in front of the TV playing XBOX . JK, kinda. i am going to try to keep up my exercise routine through this at home. I also ran into an old friend at Albertsond the other night. Good to see you, Bob. Diane and i must meet up with you guys this Winter before you leave. My mom came down on Wed/ Thurs for my last treatment and we had a grea time that day. Thanks mom for comimg to visit.
Well thanks for all your support and i will continue to update this through out! Tough part is over now !
Chris
Sunday, November 11, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Great Big Congrats... way to get through the tough treatments, keep up your spirits and inspire us all!!! We are thinking of you and wishing you continued strength and healing over the next couple of weeks. Just rest, play and stay positive. Thanks for putting this blog together, hope you will add more as you get better. Best to you and your family.
XOXOXOX,
Danielle, Rodney & Zane Stallard
Chris, that couldn't be a more perfect song you chose (and happens to be one of our family favorites to karokee haha!) But I truly get why you picked that one and now will always make me think of you when I hear it.
I love you!
Michelle
Congratulations Chris and Diane!! We are so happy for you guys. We hope you keep updating the blog because we loved seeing what you two are doing. We miss you!!!
Hi Chris & Diane,
I was so happy to share and be part of your last radiation treatment day - it was a celebration for all of us who love you so much. Now that a little time has gone by since your last treatment and most of the side effects have all but disappeared I know it is a relief. I am so excited that you are heading to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico for a little R & R. You both need and deserve this vacation. Relax and just enjoy yourselves!!
Love,
Mom (you're #1 proudest fan)
Post a Comment