Sunday, November 4, 2007

A Rough Weekend ( a gross synopsis)

Well, this weekend was no charm. My neck which previously has been really red has now started to blister and ooze. (I know it is very disgusting) It started this on Friday night. I got home from my treatment and put some Aquafore, kinda like petroleum jelly, on my neck because over the weekends I have been using that and it feels great and moisturizes for a long time. I use this other cream on the weekdays to also moisturize, but it soaks in really quickly. The cream does not get in the way of the radiation, but the jelly can, so i only use it on the weekends. Anyway i put this jelly on and about a half hour later it started to bubble and blister up and ooze a green liquid from it. This did not look good, but it also did not hurt and actually felt really good. I cleaned it off before i went to bed that night and woke up with the same blisters and pus situation. I noticed Saturday morning that it looked like a layer of my skin was coming off as well. I looked on the web around noon time and found out that you should never put oil based products on a blister from a 2nd degree burn. Well , Diane and i drove right to the pharmacy and got some bandages, cotton wipes, sterile water and burn cream (that was prescribed to me by my doctor in case i needed it). The pharmacist looked at my neck and thought it might be infected, which i possibly agree with the green color pus. Well not to get to gross but we went home and Diane (my angel) cleaned me all up and applied the cream and wrapped the bandage around my neck and the healing begins. It hurt like hell cleaning up the wounds though. Basiacally what had happened was the burn had turned into a second degree burn and the jelly aggravated it more and possibly, topically infected it. The whole first layer of my skin on my neck is gone and i am bleeding in some areas. I was doing rather well with this whole thing until this weekend came along. I lost a little of my positivity for a day or so, but i feel better now and i know this was never meant to be a picnic. It is the toughest thing I have ever had to do in my life......but i am so close to being done......six more treatments. Not sure if this neck burn is going to change anything or not, i will find out tomorrow. If it was up to me I would stop the treatments right now for good, but I know killing cancer ain't easy and i will do whatever my doc says i must. When i get down, i do sometimes go on this blog and read all the nice things everyone had said to me and it does lift my spitits to know i have such a large support group. I love you all...Thanks Again!
Chris

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Chris

Hang in there, Junior .... remember the doc said to "expect some of this" when we met last week. Just spoke to Diane and things appear to be on an upswing this morning following your meeting with the doctor and the am treatment.

Love,

Dad

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I had no idea the radiation process involved such discomfort ie: burning blisters, etc. I'm glad you are enlightening us by sharing the experience. You have such a positive attitude and are indeed a role model for others who have to face such an ordeal.

God bless!
Panama City Claire

Jayme said...

Hey Chris!! Sorry to hear that this weekend was rough. That sounds horrible. You are SO close to being done. We will keep praying for you during these last few days. We are always thinking of you two. What a team you guys make.

sis_in_chicago said...

You can do it, bro! You've been such an inspiration to everyone reading this and especially to me, personally. I am in awe of your strength and know you and Diane are going to get through this. She really has been there for you through sickness and in health, in good times and bad and I hope Bryan and I start our wedded life together with some of the lessons I've learned from watching you two.

I love you guys!
Michelle

sis_in_chicago said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

TUESDAY NIGHT .... that means just THREE MORE TREATMENTS TO GO ....... it's like coming down the home stretch.

Keep putting the "oil" on the burn ..... it will all be over shortly.

Love you (and Di)

Dad

Anonymous said...

Hello from your #1 fan !

I am getting ready to board my flight to Utah to join you and Diane for you final radiation treatment Thursday morning. We are going to really CLANG that bell they traditionally have patients ring when they have completed their treatment! I know you have said the staff there have been wonderful and very supportive all along the way but I also know you can't wait to be done with this. We will do something special to celebrate what we know will be your new life as a cancer survivor. The positivity that everyone feels is wonderful so now let the healing begin as your body recovers. Remember to eat healthy and get lots of rest over the next couple of weeks. I am so anxious to see you !

All my love,
Mom

Aimee said...

WaaaaaHOOOOOO! It's all said, done, and I'm sure I heard that bell ring all the way up here in Idaho! You and Diane are an inspiration to anyone facing hard times, I have never been prouder and more in awe of your strength, love, and support of each other. Plus! The idea that my sister was willing to clean out the green ick just goes to show how much she loves you! The worst is over, the best is yet to come.
Lots of Love and Hugs from Drew and I (yes! even from Drew!)
~Aimee

Anonymous said...

People should read this.